The All of Us Research Program is a large research program. The goal is to help researchers understand more about why people get sick or stay healthy. People who join will give us information about their health, habits, and what it’s like where they live. By looking for patterns, researchers may learn more about what affects people’s health.
The University of Arizona and Banner Health are partners of the All of Us Research Program. All of Us is an exciting new initiative from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The mission is simple. To speed up health research and medical breakthroughs.
The All of Us Research Program is asking one million people to come together to create the largest health database ever. Researchers can use this data to better understand disease. This may create a healthier future for generations to come.
It’s simple. You’ll contribute to research that may improve health for generations to come. There’s no one exactly like you. Your unique health data may help researchers find the next big medical breakthroughs.
The key to the All of Us Research Program is diversity. Diversity of people, data types, and ways of life. The more we know about what makes people unique, the more customized health care can become. That’s why we’re asking one million or more people to join us.
If you decide to join the All of Us Research Program, we will ask you to share different kinds of information. We will ask you basic information like your name and where you live. We will ask you questions about your health, family, home, and work. If you have an electronic health record, we will ask for access. At your enrollment appointment, we will measure your weight, height, hips, and waist, as well as your blood pressure and heart rate. We may ask you to give samples, like blood or urine, at the appointment.
All of Us may last for at least 10 years. We hope you will stay involved over time. If you join, you can withdraw at any time for any reason without penalty.
We may contact you to answer additional surveys from time to time. You can choose to answer the surveys or not. We may also contact you periodically to ensure that your contact information is up-to-date in our system.
We will take great care to protect your information. Here are a few of the steps we will take:
• Information we have about you will be stored on protected computers. We will limit and keep track of who sees the information.
• We will remove your name and other direct identifiers (like your Social Security number) from your information and replace them with a code.
• Researchers must promise not to try to find out who you are.
• We will tell you if there is a risk to your privacy because of a data breach.
• The All of Us Research Program has Certificates of Confidentiality from the U.S. government. This will help us fight legal demands (such as a court order) to give out information that could identify you.
The consent form and health surveys may take about 35-45 minutes to complete. You can complete the consent and surveys online before you come in for a visit or when you come in for a visit at one of our enrollment centers where we will ask you to provide physical measurements and biospecimens (blood and urine), which will take an additional 20-30 minutes.
Our plan is that All of Us Research Program at the University of Arizona and Banner Health will last at least 10 years. You will receive updates from us and from the national All of Us Research Program. We hope you will stay involved over time. If you do, researchers may better understand what causes changes in our health and what we can do about it.
You will receive $25 after you complete your visit as long as you consent to sharing your Electronic Health Record (EHR), complete three basic surveys and your physical measurements, and donate your biospecimens.
To join the All of Us Research Program at The University of Arizona and Banner Health:
- Visit the JoinAllofUs.org/Arizona website
- Call the toll free All of Us Support Center to discuss your participation within any of our partner locations:
- Arizona or Colorado: 1-877-268-2684
- Northern Colorado may also call 970-810-3590
- Nogales, AZ may also call 520-375-6050
- Download the All of Us app
Because All of Us is a research program, you will be asked to complete an informed consent process. This process tells more about what is involved, and the risks and benefits of joining.